Saturday, March 2, 2013

Bug out Bag: CFP-90

360Survival:
   
My Bug Out Kit
     In the last year or so, I have stumbled across a few words like WROL (without rule of law), SHTF (shit hits the fan) and a BOB (bug out bag).  My name is Tony and I am an avid hiker, climber, and outdoor enthusiast  Like many others, I enjoy a good review on gear or a new way of doing things to see if it fits me,  after all there is a plethora of information on the Internet for anyone that has a curiosity at all for any given topic. My focus today is to join the people who feel that they have the ultimate bug out bag for prepping.  Humm, prepping, yes it seems that is new to me also even though I think many of us do this without even thinking about it.  We all prep when we do our grocery shopping or pay for next month’s bills, and what about bugging out? This sounds like just an extended camping trip or longer.  Okay, getting off topic some, I want to share my bug out kit with you and why I have chosen the items I have, as well as some things that i have learned. Over the time of building my kit it has continually EVOLVED and this can happen many time over quickly in a given month or very gradually over years.  I find this really cool because, as you learn and evolve so does your kit. So let’s get into the bag!
   
  Now I understand some of you will be saying, "Hey Tony, there's a lot of civilian packs that function way better than a military pack." and for some, that may be true, but this is My pack and I have over a decade of dealing with packs of every shape and size, this is what works for me. I don’t mind a little extra weight when i can get extra durability that this pack offers. Then internal frame CFP-90 (combat field pack- 1990) weighs in around 8 lbs. and holds around 4000 cubic inches, lots of PALS (Pouch Attachment Ladder System) and three smaller outside pouches. It was a tested item for the military as the IIFS (integrated individual fighting system) but never made it into the supply system long because of another system, the MOLLE (Modular Lightweight Load-bearing Equipment) that took its place.  An issue for some in the armed services for the CFP-90 was that it wasn't able to carry a mortar base plate and several hundred boxes of rounds well or broke under a 150 lbs. load. Now this may sound like this pack isn't worthy because of that flaw discovered by the mortar-men and other special operating groups but seriously, If any sane person ever tried to hike with any load more than 50 pounds they know its no walk in the park.  I have from my experience hiked with packs over 100 lbs and its one I could have done without and my back would be thanking me now since I’m getting older in the ages. No matter what pack you have, you have to be mindful of your ounces. If you carry everything and the kitchen sink in any type of pack, you will not get very far and you will suffer for it later, unless this is something you do every day and have a sick idea of fun. I love to go farther, faster, and harder when I'm outside and I get to see more, do more and I never feel the aches or pains later for it so i can do it again the next day with no problem. A little tip, keep it under 50, for many this will seem like a no brainer but believe me its super easy to fill a back and turn it heavy without realizing. Its much more challenging to leave things at home or do without.
     For the meat and potatoes of my pack I try to keep the basics of survival (Food, Fire, Water, and Shelter) without too much redundancy. I have also made some homemade modifications to improve it's carrying and adaptability options, which I researched the original design of the pack (the Alpine Lowe) found its strong points and brought it back. Also keep in mind that this pack is made for a cold weather situation while still being lightweight.
CFP-90 (winter setup or weather to reach below 40)
  • Sleeping bag (rated to minimum of 0)
  • Bivy bag - waterproofing against elements
  • Therm-a-rest sleeping pad- fight conduction-floatation aid
  • Gortex jacket and pants- shell system for layering
  • Thermals (base layer, and heavy layer)
  • Poncho- to many multi uses to list, shelter-rain protection-rain collection-tarp-boat, yes i said boat
  • E-blanket
  • Socks x 2, undershirt, swim shorts
  • Neck gaiter
  • Baklava
  • Dehydrated food for 3 days or more
  • Rat traps x2- lightweight, easy to use, meat producing items
  • burner- with fuel (i carry an penny stove, that can also use homemade solid fuel)
  • 2 quart canteen (clipped to outside)
  • GPS forerunner (typically against these but in a last ditch effort i keep mine off to save battery, learn to use compass like an expert)
  • Lightweight Water Filter (use with caution, filters and purifiers do different things)
  • Ducktape -this needs no explination if you have ever played with it
  • Folding Saw - this is actually a 50/50, some times i never need it but its so lightweight that when i do its worth gold for having one.

Top flap (get quick items)
  • Headlamp - night tasks
  • Cordage - multi use
  • Gloves
  • Bandana - multi use
  • Knife sharpening pocket system
  • Lighter
On- Person
  • Knife (Ontario U.S. pilot with kit)
    • fishing line/hooks
    • metal match
    • mini compass
    • sharpening stone
  • 550 cordage- great for so many things from traps to shelter building
  • Lenstatic compass/ map
  • Lighter
  • Canteen/ with cup and stove stand/ iodine tablets
  • High calorie bar
  • Pencil/paper
  • Fleece hat - i shave my head so this is critical for me, LOL
     I prefer woodland camouflage mainly because when i get out in the woods, I also hunt but most importantly to me is the leave no trace princlepal which I will share in a later blog. The idea of my pack is that it is my lightweight RV or pop up camper. It stays under 45 lbs. so it is light for me to travel without any discomfort and unloads to everything to brave the elements comfortably using the BRACE and Layering concepts. If I have to ditch the pack for whatever reason there is a redundancy on my person for a reason so I can still improvise everything i need on my on-person gear.
     This is my pack that works great for me in a bug out situation, hiking excursion, camping trip, and stays either in my truck while im at work or near by if i need to grab-n-go because it stays packed. If you have any comments or other ideas feel free to share. 
                                                                         "Over all Obstacles!"

No comments:

Post a Comment