Wednesday, March 6, 2013

CFP-90 Pack test 1.0 quick hike

The other day I was able to do a quick scramble/last minute hike with my bug out bag for conditioning as well as a performance check.  I like to incorporate my family and friends with the trips when I can to get great feedback as well as give a reason to get outside.  This is a great way to have a little encouragement and someone to hold the camera when a great shot presents itself. The initial purpose of this excursion was to test the comfort level at a moderate pace with my BOB (bug out bag). I would have liked to put more miles on my boots but we work with what we have. A two mile nature hike on a paved trail with little to no hills, so I was going to have to fix that somehow, this set the course for today. Three quarters into the hike, we crossed a bridge that spanned about 100 meters across and roughly 100 meter down from the center.  This may be a good chance for me to test a few of my rigging techniques and rope work, but that will come later with additional gear fitted to the pack.  After some thinking, this bridge was exactly what I needed to see how my pack would handle while scrambling down and back up to the other end.

This detour provided lose rocks, tall grassy paths, a cold stream, and ascends to a muddy path then finally scrambles back up to more sliding rocks. I begin by descending down the steep rocky embankment. With the earth beneath my feet giving way, I am forced to slow down and focus more on my footing.  Allow me to describe these misleading piles of rock, from a distance it would appear somewhat scenic and a good fit for the surrounding terrain but that is as far as the pleasantries go.  This loosely spilled pill of gravel sized from as large as basketballs may have seemed like it would stay put but each step would shift with the least amount of weight and dared to fall down away from me. Surprising thought afterwards I didn’t even remember that there was a pack on my back until I made it to flat ground. This passed the first of my tests, because of the internal frame design; it hugs very close to my back and would not throw my balance off, this pack actually moves with my movements. The grassy path didn’t provide much of a challenge either but what I did notice later was a barb wire fence that I had brushed against. Worried that perhaps I may have torn the pack, I had checked it for any damage and could not find any. Passing another important test, the durability factor showed that even small mishaps can be forgiven with this thing.  The next obstacle which I had to encounter was a small stream crossing; I had no real concern here because the water was only about a foot or so deep. A pair of good waterproof boots is a must and still no loss of balance treading across the calf deep current. Past the stream lay a muddy path uphill which was a bit taxing on the legs.  I was happy that this was where I was feeling the real muscles working.  You see, some packs will hang off your shoulders or sit against your back in an awkward way that will cause brutal back and/or shoulder pain.  Other packs such as external frame designs can even throw you off balance. This makes you fight constantly against gravity at weird angles so that you’re not falling. A real trekking pack will distribute the weight how you want it, where you want it, when you want it! This gave me the power I needed to dig in with my boots and not fall forward or backwards but ascend with ease. The final stretch to this detour was again the same kind of rocks as before.  The whole climb up was a breeze and I never really felt the weight of my 45 pound pack. Another note that this exceeded my expectations in performance is the load balance. Feeling really good about was a fun change of pace I felt that the last quarter mile of the journey to the car should be a jog. Racing my 10 year old son to the end of the trail; he was eating my dust when his mouth dropped to the ground in shock when I passed him.  You can run with this pack, though I would not recommend it because of possible joint problems later.

Things that worked out well for me

·       Internal frame allowed the pack to stay close to me and move with me during unforgiving ground

·       Pack kept weight distributed correctly that made the pack feel very light

·       Durable being beat up against trees and wire fences

Things to work on for next time:

·       How this is going to handle during wet conditions?

·       Longer treks will there be any pressure points?

·       How will it fair during a rappelling and rock climbing trip?

I am overly pleased with the trip it, bringing my wife and kids to a breezy and peaceful walking park, getting the opportunity to try something different, and share a memory with everyone. For me this is what real value is and worth more than its weight in gold in the end.  Internal frame packs is definitely the way to go if you’re in a rocky environment or you want to travel off the beaten path. These packs perform far better than external frame packs from what I can tell. My modifications are holding out better than expected (the shoulder harness suspension system that I re-did) and I can’t wait to continue to put this pack through more hell.  My next excursion will be a bluff that I will test with rappelling down the side of a 90 foot rock face and then try some bouldering.

          “Over all Obstacles!”

No comments:

Post a Comment